Well (or poorly) hung video cards (was Re: lousy browsers)

on Sun, Oct 20, 2002, Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > This is typical of a hung X11 session.  Some people have reported
> > that (re)running SVGATextMode can clear problems like this, though
> > I've never had luck with this.  The issue is that your video card is
> > locked.  Most of the time, the only solution is to reboot the
> > ssytem.  Sometimes a hard boot is required (I've seen this with Sony
> > Vaio laptops).
>
> Just starting X again will likely fix it. The card was left in
> graphics mode when he killed X, it's not "locked". Restarting X will,
> assuming X can deal with the card already being in graphics mode,
> probably result in a usable console again.

Sometimes.

I've seen cards in various states:

  - Hung but fully resettable -- both X11 and console can be used again.

  - Hung, resettable in graphics mode only -- a X11 session can be
    started, but console mode is fuxnored.  Generally I'll start an X
    session to reboot the system (I use console periodically, it's a
    pain when it's not accessible).

  - Fully locked, hung, frozen.  Usually the entire system is locked at
    this point, no response to network, etc.  Hard boot.

Peace.

 TWikIWeThey: An experiment in collective intelligence.  Stupidity.  Whatever.
   http://twiki.iwethey.org/