Re: apt and preferences

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 01:46:03PM -0400, Craig Longman wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 12:22, Craig Longman wrote:
> >[...snip...]
> >
> > the actual error message is:
> >
> >   libxmltok1-dev: Depends: libxmltok1 (= 1.1-8) but 1.1-9 is to be
> > installed
> > E: Sorry, broken packages
> >

> ok, perhaps its just me, but i'm annoyed.  the problem is NOT what
> appears here, afaict.  once i finally gave up and downloaded the
> libxmltok1-dev_1.1-8 package and tried to dpkg -i install it, i got an
> error that MUCH more clearly stated that i HAD libxmltok1_1.1-9
> installed and i couldn't install the 1.1-8 -dev version.  sure enough,
> this was the case.
>
> am i just reading the above error message wrong, or does everyone else
> think that it is trying to say that it is trying to install
> libxmltok1-dev_1.1-9 and that it cannot do so because libxmltok1 is only
> at 1.1-8?

It's saying libxmltok1-dev has a dependency on libxmltok version 1.1-8,
but it has scheduled libxmltok version 1.1-9 for installation (or, as
you found out -- it already has been installed).

Sometimes packages get a little out of sync.  Wait a few hours, run
apt-get update again and see if the situation has changed.  If, indeed
you're trying to install libxmltok-dev version 1.1-9 and it's claiming
a dependency on libxmltok 1.1-8, then the "broken packages" message
is spot on (but a quick apt-cache show libxmltok1-dev doesn't bear
out that assessment: "Depends: libxmltok1 (= 1.1-9), libc6-dev").

--
static const char signature[] =
	"Copyright (c) 2002 Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>";