Re: apt and preferences

On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 23:06, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 01:17:39PM -0400, Craig Longman wrote:
> > i recently upgraded to debian from redhat, as i was tired of finding
> > that the latest version of a program i wanted to install required 27
> > other rpms that were only available for the latest and greatest version
> > of redhat.  debian seems much more reasonable in this regard, allowing
> > me to upgrade what i want or what i have to, without forcing a whole
> > system upgrade every 6-12 months.
>
> The beauty of Debian is that even if you do upgrade to a newer version
> of the entire distribution, you don't need to re-install or even reboot
> (well, mostly...).  A simple `apt-get -fuy dist-upgrade' will bring you
> up to date, even automatically restarting updated daemons.

exactly why i'm trying debian.

> > secondly, for various reasons, i need to have apache2 2.0.42 installed.
> > it appears that 2.0.43 has been elevated to 'testing' status, but i
>
> [I'm no expert with apt pinning...]
> If apache2 2.0.43 is in testing, then where is 2.0.42?  If it's not
> available, then maybe apt would get upset and try to give a newer
> version that's still around.

hmm, it does appear that even thought the entry is still in the database
as an available package, that the file is no longer available.  perhaps
apt was just deciding that upgrading was the next best thing.  too bad
it didn't give me any information about that though.

sigh.  so i guess i'm screwed then.  gotta either rebuild apache2 from
scratch if i want to run 2.0.42 or just not do what i wanted to and run
2.0.43, a little disappointing.

now, i'm trying to upgrade to 2.0.43 and having more apt problems.  it
seems like apt is WAY too happy to upgrade to the testing/unstable
branches.  i want to install the libxmltok1-dev package.  i have
libxmltok1 ver 1.1-8 installed (from stable).  when i issue:

  apt-get install libxmltok1-dev

it tells me that i won't do it as the version i'm installing requires
1.1-9 of libxmltok1.  i can't figure out how to force it to just use the
damn stable packages.  i've tried:

  apt-get -t stable install libxmltok1-dev

but it also does the same damn thing, can't install libxmltok1-dev-1.1-9
because libxmltok1-1.1-8 is installed.

the actual error message is:

  libxmltok1-dev: Depends: libxmltok1 (= 1.1-8) but 1.1-9 is to be
installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

i thought apt was supposed to make these sorts of things easier!?  its
like as soon as you introduce the testing tree into your package cache,
you're in trouble and individual package installations.

is there some addition to apt.conf that i can add that tells apt to ONLY
consider the stable branch for ALL package things (upgrade and install)
unless otherwise indicated by a custom -t option?

--

    CraigL->Thx();
    Be Developer ID: 5852