Re: apt and preferences

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 11:27, Klaus Imgrund wrote:
> >   libxmltok1-dev: Depends: libxmltok1 (= 1.1-8) but 1.1-9 is to be
> > installed
> > E: Sorry, broken packages
> >

> > i thought apt was supposed to make these sorts of things easier!?  its
> > like as soon as you introduce the testing tree into your package
> > cache, you're in trouble and individual package installations.
> >
> > is there some addition to apt.conf that i can add that tells apt to
> > ONLY consider the stable branch for ALL package things (upgrade and
> > install) unless otherwise indicated by a custom -t option?
>
> Sorry,
>
> I didn't really follow this thing but it looks like you are running a
> mixed environment in somewhere in between testing and unstable. I do
> that,too and it gives me trouble at times - had to upgrade all the
> packages to unstable one time because my mix wouldn't work anymore. You
> can mix distro's with no problem at all when you got apps that are
> pretty much stand alone things without important dependencies. Other
> than that things get touchy pretty quick.

i could understand if there _were_ any important dependencies, but there
aren't in this case.  i have libxmltok1_1.1-8 installed, i want to
install libxmltok1-dev_1.1-8 now, but because it sees that there is a
testing version (1.1-9) apt-get install assumes (nay, _forces_) that
testing version on me.  its smart enough to know that i would not like
it to simply upgrade libxmltok1 automatically, but not smart enough to
try to simply install my branch of choice version, stable.

i think i'm ready to declare this as a bug and file it as such.  apt-get
install seems to ignore the APT::Default-Release "stable"; directive in
the apt.conf file.

additionally, it seems like the apt preferences file is pretty much
useless.  out of desperation, it tried adding:

  Package: libxmltok1-dev
  Pin: version 1.1-8

in there, but still it is completely ignored and apt-get seems to try
and install libxmltok1-dev_1.1-9, which is only available in testing.
i'm very frustrated, as i think i'm doing everything right, but getting
nowhere.  i would hate to think i need to go through and remove the
testing/unstable lines from the sources.list file every time i wanted to
install an individual package from the stable branch only.

--

    CraigL->Thx();
    Be Developer ID: 5852