Re: disabling ide-scsi

* Jason Pepas (j.pepas@mail.utexas.edu) wrote:
> > Interesting.  What is in /lib/modules/<kernel>/drivers/scsi?
> >
> > Cam
>
> (pts/0)jason@marsala:/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs/kernel/drivers/scsi$ ls
> AM53C974.o  cpqfc.o      gdth.o      pci2220i.o   sg.o         tmscsim.o
> a100u2w.o   dtc.o        imm.o       ppa.o        sim710.o     u14-34f.o
> advansys.o  eata.o       in2000.o    psi240i.o    st.o         ultrastor.o
> aha152x.o   eata_dma.o   initio.o    qlogicfas.o  sym53c416.o  wd7000.o
> aha1542.o   eata_pio.o   megaraid.o  qlogicfc.o   sym53c8xx.o
> aha1740.o   fdomain.o    osst.o      qlogicisp.o  sym53c8xx_2
> atp870u.o   g_NCR5380.o  pci2000.o   seagate.o    t128.o

Those look mostly like low-level drivers.

I have ide-scsi set up as modules, and so my ~/scsi directory is thus:

ide-scsi.o  scsi_mod.o  sg.o  sr_mod.o  sym53c8xx.o

> however,
>
> (pts/0)jason@marsala:/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs/kernel/drivers/ide$ ls
> ide-cd.o  ide-floppy.o  ide-tape.o
>
> ide-cd appears to be a module, rather than being built into the kernel.  That
> explains the "BAD OPTION" errors I was getting when I was trying to pass
> ide-cd kernel parameters using lilo's append option.
>
> perhaps the fact that ide-cd is a module, and is not loaded, is significant.

I think that would be the case.

My first choice would be to rebuild the kernel, and use modules
instead of putting all that into the kernel.  I have the following in
/etc/modules.conf, because I use modules for ide-scsi:

options ide-cd ignore=hdc
options ide-cd ignore=hdd
alias scd0 sr_mod
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd

I don't know enough about this to be sure whether an options command
would block the kernel from setting your zip drive up as scsi, but you
might see if any of those low-level drivers corresponds to the drives
you don't want seized, and rmmod it.  That may break the connection.

Good luck.

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.