Re: Is there something lacking in e-term?

This one time, at band camp, Sam Varghese said:

> I sometimes use the Eterm - the terminal which is part of Enlightenment
> - - when I'm using ssh to connect to other boxes.
>
> It appears not to support certain native shell commands - like "clear"
> for example. I get back a message saying:
> "'Eterm': unknown terminal type."
>
> This doesn't happen with gnome-terminal or the terminal that comes with
> kde.
>
> What's the reason for this?
>
> Sam

There are many different terminal types under linux, and Eterm happens
to be it's own type.  Look under /usr/share/terminfo/ for all the
different ones.

The short answer is that gnome-terminal and others frequently just send
their term type as linux.  If you want this same behavior, ssh like
this:

TERM=linux ssh user@host.some.where

HTH,
Steve

--
standards, n.:
	The principles we use to reject other people's code.