Re: gnome || kde

On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 20:09, Bruce Park wrote:
> Hello debian users,
>
> Can anyone tell me which one of these two desktop is better? I've been using
> gnome eversince I've been using linux and I am told that KDE is a better
> desktop by people yet they can't give me a solid reason as to why it is
> better.
>
> bp

> Choose an Internet access plan right for you -- try MSN!
> http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp

KDE is likely a better platform for those familiar with KDE, Gnome is a
better platform for those familiar with Gnome. KDE is, in the views of
some, more complete in the terms of an inventory of solid applications
and an interface that takes away the user's need to run a shell. Gnome,
in the views of some, appears to offer more choice of applications,
applets, and is backed by the FSF. Both are much nicer than twm if you
have the memory and processor speed. Unlike operating systems that don't
implement X, one nice thing is that you can try each on the same box -
concurrently by use of multiple virtual displays - and edge into those
applications or environment you prefer.

Otherwise, you've probably encountered the typical "Window Manager" wars
in their latest incarnation. Each has strengths over the other, and each
has fans that view anything to do with the other to be lousy design,
programming, and perverse squandering of computer resources. The best
answer is learn about what each does and find how each feels to you, and
make your own decision. This isn't a Microsoft product - you have a
choice ;)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org