Re: can't install blackdown java

    "Colin" == Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

    Colin> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 08:37:27AM +0100, Ben Thompson
    Colin> wrote:
    >> I tried to install blackdown java package j2re1.3 on my sarge
    >> system, but I got an error message from apt saying that it it
    >> depended on j2se-common which could not be installed. Can
    >> anyone advise how to get around this?

    Colin> Make sure you have 'main' listed as well as 'non-free' for
    Colin> the repository from which you got j2re1.3.

Thank you. Though I'm not the original poster, this solved the problem
with the 'holding back' of j2re1.3 after my weekly apt-get update.

However, now what used to be in /usr/lib/j2re1.3 seems to have moved
to /usr/lib/j2se/1.3/ and some links in /etc/alternatives/ are
broken. Mozilla, quite naturally, no longer has a java plugin, and I
get

$ java
bash: java: command not found
$

I can (and will) do the update-alternatives thing. But I was curious
if the blackdown debs should have warned me of this, or I missed doing
something that I should have.

Any clues for me? I'm not sure how /etc/alternatives/javaplugin.so
could or should have been updated during the upgrade, and I'm curious
if there is a better way. Is this a bug in the blackdown .deb package?

Cheers!
Shyamal