Re: gui c/c++ programming

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 02:37, Kevin Coyner wrote:

> I've recently took a college level course in beginning C, and then a
> follow-on course in C and C++.  I enjoyed learning the basics of the
> languages and now want to pursue it further.
>
> One of the things I'd like to be able to do is put together simple
> programs so that the user of the program can execute the program from a
> GUI rather than CLI.  At this point all I know is CLI programming.
>
> So, can anyone point out what they think the best toolsets are for
> learning how to write GUI interfaces in C/C++?  So far I've found that
> Qt seems to have a lot geared towards the beginner.  Am I correct in
> that assumption?  I also like the fact that programs written in Qt are
> portable to other platforms.
>
> Just looking for some color on how to get started in this area.

Hi,

I would definitely and heartily recommend wxWindows. They are also
working on an IDE for it called wxWorkshop although i think that is only
in the pre-alpha stage.

I like wxWindows because it covers most everything one might need and
makes it cross-platform including Window handling, graphics, events,
validators, data structures, RTTI, good debugging features, Threading,
Interprocess communication, Networking,  File handling, stream handling,
HTML, Databases etc. etc. etc. and it also seems to be very
cross-platform.

The learning curve *might* be a bit steep but it will certainly pay off
in the end because you can use the same format to do most things you
will want to do and it will probably work in most of the platforms that
you want to work in including GTK+, WIN32, Motif, X11, Nano-X, MGL and
MacOS. I think they are also working on an embedded version.

http://www.wxwindows.org

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            26/3 Annandale Street   Tel: (0131) 558 9990
Email: shri@urbyte.com     Edinburgh EH7 4AN       Web: www.urbyte.com