Re: xdm config help

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 11:10:39PM -0700, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> I'm trying to set up xdm. Whenever I boot the last message I see before
> the login prompt is:
>
> Not starting X Display Manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager.
>
> I get the same message when I try to launch it manually as root. I'm
> been cruising the docs & all the likely files, but don't see how to set
> this. I looked in /etc/alternatives, nothing named 'display manager'.

Good thinking - but wrong :-)

> I looked at the conf files in /etc/X11, but there's nothing glaringly
> wrong. There is a file named "default-display-manager' in /etc/X11, and
> it's contents are '/usr/bin/xdm'.

I run xdm, and for me it says:

    /usr/bin/X11/xdm
            ^^^^

As far as I can see, the xdm's init script does a string comparison, so
the exact path would matter.

As for how things got that way, I don't know. Perhaps bug #113070? If
you can reproduce it, it will certainly be worth reporting a bug.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com

Is nothing sacred?