RE: Debian vs. SuSE 8.1

Geno said:

A 7-disk set of Debian costs approximately one-third  the $50. price of the
comparable low-documents SuSE package.
Other than price, what is the attraction of Debian over Red Hat, SuSE or
Mandrake?

Thanks.

geno

I'll babble about: Debian is slim, stable, and reliable.  Need I say
anymore.  Sure I can install all the junk that the other distributions do,
but why?  I want a system that I can tailor to my needs, adding stuff as I
need, that I WANT.  I've seen mandrake in action, used redhat, used suse
(pile of shit if you ask me) and now i'm using Debian - happily.  I don't
see a need to swap back.  I don't need the latest and greatest either (well
that's what it's perceived as - normally it just means more bugs and less
reliability).

Another reason to choose Debian is that it's thoroughly (well packages)
tested.  If it's deemed buggy it isn't included.  That does mean a lot of
the new software isn't available, but in most cases it's not needed.  If you
want the latest and greatest imho try gentoo linux (www.gentoo.org).  Expect
bugs, some crashes, security issues and anything else that may pop up from
using relatively new and untested software applications.  I'm not running a
mission critical server here, just a desktop but I like to err on the side
of caution (to a point).  That's just a personal preferance.

Need one more reason to choose Debian?  Apt, dselect and dpkg.  They totally
shit on rpm in each and every way.  I would NEVER go back to rpm.  It's a
pile of shit imho.  A nightmare.  Plain and simple.

Need another reason to choose Debian?  This very user list.  Quite simply,
put in some effort to solve issues yourself and research them.  If you're
still lost, then email the list, give ample relevant information, show what
you have tried etc.  There's very good chances that it'll get answered, get
answered thoroughly within 24 hours of initial post by people that are
simply linux gurus.

One final reason that I can think of to choose Debian...I'm newish to linux,
i've made that statement before, my level of knowledge is somewhere between
novice and intermediate but i'm learning.  I'll honestly learn a shitload
more from using Debian that I will mandrake et al with their shoddy auto
everything tools.  Sure, i'd use mandrake for my grandma (if I had one) -
everything has its purpose.

Anyways that's enough babble from me.  Give Debian a try, I think you'll be
surprised.

Dave