Re: pop server

hi ya

am stepping in late but...

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On Friday 18 October 2002 14:47, Richard Kimber wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, but this doesn't work.  I.e. pointing the remote client at
> > "kimber" (or the equivalent) doesn't allow the remote pc to retrieve mail.
> >  From Outlook, I get:-
> >
> > Connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server.  Yet I can happily
> > ftp from that machine using the same address.

assuming you dont have a firewall blocking anything
and that the windoze box is on the same wire/hub as kimber

on kimber...
   make sure in.pop3  or equivalent is listed in /etc/hosts.allow
	ipop3:       localhost, 192.168.xx.0/255.255.255.0

	( you should see similar entries for wuftpd, in.telnetd
	( if the mising ipop3 is the problem

   make sure pop3 or equivalent is listed in /etc/inetd.conf or
   /etc/xinetd.conf/ipop3
	# disable = yes
	disable = no

   restart inetd

kimber#  telnet localhost 110
	...blah  Pop server read ..
	quit

other windoze_pc#  telnet kimber 110

than it should work from the windoze email clients - outlook,netscape,etc..

-- after all that works.... use "secure pop3 instead"...
	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Mail/secure_pop3.txt

have fun
alvin