Re: pop server

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:08:24 -0400 (EDT)
Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu> wrote:
> > > What are you trying to do?  telnet pop.<hostname> 110 tells telnet
> > > to find a machine called "pop.hostname" and connect to port 110,
> > > which is equivalent to the pop3 port. I don't think that's what
> > > you're looking for.
> >
> > Well I got that from the man page.
>
> Which one?

man qpopper says:-
 You can confirm that the POP server is running on  Unix  by  telneting
       port 110 (or 109 if you set it up that way).  For example:

       %telnet pop.qualcomm.com 110

> In your case, say your machine is called "kimber" and you're running a
> POP server on it. (Assume, too, that you haven't done anything naughty
> like running the POP server on a port other than 110.)  You would then
> just tell the mail client to use "kimber" as the email server.

Thanks, but this doesn't work.  I.e. pointing the remote client at
"kimber" (or the equivalent) doesn't allow the remote pc to retrieve mail.
 From Outlook, I get:-

Connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server.  Yet I can happily
ftp from that machine using the same address.

- Richard.