Re: icewm global configuration

* Darryl Ross <djr@dazco.com.au>, 2002-10-17 23:45 -0400:
> I have modified the /etc/X11/icewm/menu and preferences file to suit the
> needs of my family on my home network. In the /etc/X11/icewm/menu it
> says the following:
>
>    # Place your variants in @cfgdatadir@ or in $HOME/.icewm
>    # since modifications to this file will be discarded when you
>    # (re)install icewm.
>
> Does anyone know what/where is the @cfgdatadir@? As I would prefer to
> place my files there, so that they won't get over-written when I upgrade
> icewm.

/etc/icewm in Debian.

> I want the configuration files to be global (for all users), and it
> appears that @cfgdatadir@ might be a good place to put them.

You can create your own directory, say /etc/icewm.local, and you
should be able to make $HOME/.icewm a symlink to it.

# ln -s /etc/icewm.local $HOME/.icewm

In case this doesn't work, symlink not to the dir but to the files,

# ln -s /etc/icewm.local/preferences $HOME/.icewm/preferences

and so on.

-Andre