Re: Tomcat woes

I haven't tried out opencms (but it looks like I
should, since I'd also like to find a working content
management system) but I have had some problems with
Cocoon, another webapp, in Tomcat. So, my
comments/suggestions may not be that helpful, but:

o  The permissions may be part of the problem. At
least with the Tomcat packages from unstable, it seems
like the best/only ownership that works for Cocoon is
tomcat4:root. Permissions of root:root didn't work.

o  Try turning off all security in Tomcat. This
obviously isn't the right solution, but I haven't been
able to get Cocoon to run unless all Tomcat security
is off. Maybe this effects opencms, too.

o  Read the tomcat logs in /var/log/tomcat4 -- they
usually indicate why a webapp failed.

Richard