Re: xfree86 video card problems -- strange

Price, Erik said:
> Hi,
>
> I've been having some difficulties setting up X11 on my Debian 3.0
> installation (first CD only, so far).  I was hoping some could provide
> some advice as to how I can get my video card recognized, as I think I've
> boiled it down to that.

sounds like you have a motherboard with onboard video, perhaps something
like the Intel L440GX+. In addition to that it sounds like you have another
video card, the red X probably indicates that the onboard video is
disabled(happens automatically on the L440GX+.

snip from lspci on my redhat machine here which runs L440GX+ and another
PCI card:
00:14.0 VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 5480 (rev 23)
01:0f.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21150 (rev 06)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP (rev 85)

So, you need to find out exactly what kind of video card that other
one is, if it's a dual boot or something you may be able to find out
from win32. otherwise I would open the case and take a look. Some
cards reveal themselves on bootup in the form of the video BIOS but
many do not.

once you do that, I reccomend going here:
http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/

to determine what driver(if any) supports your card. If you can't find
a compadible driver you probably have to use a commercial X server such
as Metro-X or AcceleratedX.

nate