xfree86 video card problems -- strange

Hi,

I've been having some difficulties setting up X11 on my Debian 3.0 installation (first CD only, so far).  I was hoping some could provide some advice as to how I can get my video card recognized, as I think I've boiled it down to that.

[NB: I am pretty unfamiliar with Windows too.]

When I open up the Device Manager from the System Control Panel in Windows, I can see two different display adapters in there.  The first one is a "Cirrus Logic 5430/5440 Compatible Graphics Adapter", and the icon representing this adapter has a red X on it.  Note that this isn't my computer, it's the company's, so I'm not sure why that is like that.  But there is also a second adapter under the listing for Display Adapters, called "Intense 3D 34x0".

Now, when I boot into Linux (which is on the other hard disk), I have used the lspci tool and it says:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 5430/40 [Alpine] (rev 47)
01:00.1 Display controller: Intergraph Corporation: Unknown device 0780 (rev 40)

Which I'm not sure what to do with this information.  My guess is that there is an older graphics card (display adapter) called a Cirrus Logic card, and that is what is getting recognized by utilities such as "dpkg-configure xserver-xfree86".  But hopefully some of the X gurus on this list can give me their guess as to what I need to do to get the Intense3D card recognized and used instead.

(I'm pretty sure it works because in Win2k the display is great, and I get 1152 x 864 on a 19" monitor.)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ERik