Re: Install, apt-get questions

"Jamin W.Collins" wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:16:50 +0000 julianfields@attbi.com wrote:
> > It worked ok, except my old Diamond
> > Multimedia with S3 968 VRAM (old card)
> > does not have a great driver.  Maybe
> I believe that's a Vision 968 Chip.  IIRC, there isn't good support for
> that card under XFree86 4.x, but there is decent support for it under
> XFree86 3.x which you can roll back to if you want.

You know, no one ever likes to think about this.  I have enjoyed all
of my old video cards such as my old Tseng labs ET4000 card or my
Number 9 S3 based card.  Rock'n cards when I bought them.  But
eventually the time comes to let go.

If you shop around probably less than $50 would get you a significant
upgrade to a inexpensive older generation video card which is still
better than you have currently.  And that is probably money well spent
if it saves you hours of time and frustration trying to deal with X
driver support problems.  If you shop the used markets then $10 for a
Matrox G200 or similar is typical.  Age and speed are not as important
as having support already available in the mainstream code releases.
Check the hardware support docs before shopping.

Just my advice...

Bob