mail does not work

i had been trying to use mail the unix way after shifting to linux from windows.

i ran eximconfig and answered the q to the best of my abilities. however, outgoing mails are not yet going.

my machine is connected to a server that runs win nt. it has its own ip address. my machine also has a static ip address. then there is a gateway and two dns servers.

in windows i used to use the nt server's ip address as smtp server address and it would work. it still works in linux/ mozilla combination.

how do i do it? ideally, i will NOT like to depend on the nt server to send my mails out. can that be done?

thanx in advance

-sandip