Re: mail server of a sorts

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 3:56 pm, Kevin Coyner wrote:
> Is it possible to do the following, or is there a better way ...
>
> Objective:  setup a spare box that downloads mail for me and my family
> from various POP3 servers.  DL'd mail gets scanned for spam and then is
> held for eventual retrieval by users.

There are other replies - but to me all of them seemed to go too far with
procmail.  Also here is some detail for you to help with the configuration

I have exactly this setup and I use the debian packages fetchmail, exim,
spamassasin, spamc, ipopd and uw-imap

[note in the files below, my internal network has a set of domain names *.home
with ip addresses in the 10.0.10.* range - also beware of end of line wrap
from my mail client]

1) Fetchmail - this reads the data from several isps and forwards it to a Mail
Transfer Agent (MTA - exim).

You need a /etc/fetchmailrc file - here is parts of mine (passwords changed to
protect me)

# Created by AKC 14th July 2000
set syslog
set no bouncemail

poll mail.tesco.net no dns proto POP3 tracepolls interval 16
	aka tesco.net
 user "alan.chandler" password "x" forcecr is alan fetchall smtpaddress
fetchmail.home
 user "Sarah.Chandler" password "y" forcecr is sarah fetchall smtpaddress
fetchmail.home

poll pop3.blueyonder.co.uk no dns proto POP3 tracepolls
	aka blueyonder.co.uk
	localdomains chandlerfamily.org.uk libdebate.org

There are similar user stanzas for blueyonder - the main reason I included it
is to show what you need to do if you have a special domain name (see mine)

2) Exim as the MTA - this can deliver it to the correct files for each user
passing data through spamassassin

/etc/exim/exim.conf is rather large - so I won't include it all here - but
here are a few important keywords

primary_hostname = mail.home
qualify_domain = roo.home
receiver_unqualified_hosts = *.home

qualify_recipient = chandlerfamily.org.uk

local_domains = localhost:*.home:chandlerfamily.org.uk:libdebate.org

host_accept_relay = 127.0.0.1: 10.0.10.0/24

end

#                      TRANSPORTS CONFIGURATION                      #

# this is where mail is delivered to the files that the pop server can give
them out on

local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  group = mail
  mode = 0660
  mode_fail_narrower = false
  envelope_to_add = true
  return_path_add = true
  file = /var/mail/${lc:$local_part}

# This outgoing mail

remote_smtp:
  driver = smtp
  headers_rewrite = *@*home $1@chandlerfamily.org.uk
  return_path = ${lc:${sender_address_local_part}}@chandlerfamily.org.uk

#  This transport does a spam check to look for spam and then re-injects
#  the message into exim

check_spam:
  driver = pipe
  user = mail
  group = mail
  prefix =
  suffix =
  command = spamc -f | exim -oMr spam_checked ${if eq {$sender_address} {} {}
{-f $sender_address}} \$LOCAL_PART@chandlerfamily.org.uk
  ignore_status = true
  use_shell = true
  path = /usr/bin:/usr/sbin

end

#                      DIRECTORS CONFIGURATION                       #
# Only Mail that I expect to deliver locally is checked for spam

spam_to_check:
  driver = smartuser
  transport = check_spam
  condition=${if eq {$received_protocol} {spam_checked} {no} {${if eq
{$sender_address_domain} {chandlerfamily.org.uk} {no} {yes} }} }

# This director matches local user mailboxes.
# (I am being very restrictive on what I will allow)

localuser:
  driver = smartuser
  local_parts = /etc/exim/local-users
  user = ${lc:$local_part}
  transport = local_delivery

#
# Anything else that has not been handled is to be forced to me
#
allelse:
  driver = smartuser
# this transport is like local_delivery except it specifies my mail file.
  transport=deliver_alan

end

# End of Exim configuration file

3) install the standard debian ipopd and uw-imap packages on your server
(mail.home or roo.home in my case - they are just aliases of the same
computer)

You need an account on the mail server for all your users - they logon to the
pop3 or imap servers with the logon name and password

- --
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk