Reply to "Whinge"

I'd like to thank most of the list members for their constructive replies to my message.I'd also like to clear up a few misconceptions that may have been inferred or misappropriately assumed.I'd also like to apologize to the list for the lack of subject line,as it was late when I composed that message.I'd also like to thank Paul for his happy "we'll agree to disagree" message.Nice to see everyone didn't take it personally:)
       First,I never implied there should be an X-based boot-logo or even that specifically of a penguin.I currently recieve a nice splash that says welcome in 40+ languages.Yes,it's not the be-all end-all of what a boot should look like,but its a start.It also does this whether I have an X-server installed or not(I believe this particular one is implemented through a kernel framebuffer).Just something for consideration.
       Secondly,I'm not gunning for a GUI installer,as I do most of my installs via a text installer also,however, I do have the option of a GUI interface to install,(keyword:option).
       Furthermore,as far as the BSD-looking init:Yes I like to see the little green okays as my services start.Granted,they are no more informative than the ...done displayed with debian,but surely I'm not the first to mention that,as theres a long thread on debian-boot to show I'm not(which I'm not sure anything came of that but here's to hoping).
       About the kde thing: yep,I forced it,and it broke.On the up side it attempted to fix itself,which I agree rpm isnt ever likely to do.On the down side,the package lists at debian.org say the meta-package kde is responsible for the koffice dependency. I have yet to find this dependency generated by another distro,and as a matter of fact,its listed as a "nice"option under mandrake.The kde.org website itself lists koffice as a "complement to KDE".
       Also,to clarify my position,I never said anything along of "this distro sucks,Ill never use it again" I offerred constructive criticisms based on what I observed on my one and only install.I'll probably get around to trying it again,and asking for help on issues here,but until then I've only offered my opinions,good and bad,about this distro.

(aol...ooooo boy, yeah well its the only box I had left that didnt have an extensive amount of mailing list threads already going into it,it is also web accessible from my linux box,and I currently dont pay for it,so it suits me fine)

Specifically addressed to Mr.Cook:

I can't see where the "whinge" as you put it came into play,I made observations...the sky is blue,the desert is relatively hot compared to the north pole,etc.
I have whines if you'd like....debian doesnt make my coffee,it doesnt automagically configure itself to my box unattended,my truck doesnt get 100 miles to the gallon with debian cds in my JVC...etc,etc
       I was attracted to the distro after reading the article "Is Debian losing its mindshare?"(currently running on debianplanet.org),hoping that I could add my 2 cents to improve the situation,as Id hate to see any distro fail or fall by the wayside(except maybe redhat,which is my own personal vendetta with their tech support people).
       I wholeheartedly support a drive to be unique or different(as I sit in Microsoft's backyard on my linux box)but I also support the right to make suggestions,whether implemented or not.Not specifically saying there must be a boot logo or a redhat style or or style init,but maybe the option for one is not beyond the scope of reality.

>My reaction is perhaps a bit hostile.  But you seem to completely miss
>the point of what computers are for.  They are a productivity tool,
>not something to look pretty on your desk (despite the efforts of
>Apple).

My turn to return that hostility...I'd hate to think that computers were specifically a productivity tool,that would suck.I'd also hate to think that we might not be having
this discussion,had a couple of programmers stuck to their jobs and not created a game for their mainframe,whereby starting a chain of events leading to the present day.

>I personally hope your comments are ignored completely by the
>developers, because if they listen to you then Debian will end up just
>like all the other distros; slow, difficult, unstable and pretty.

I personally hope that the developers aren't as closed-minded as you are making yourself appear,and at least take my suggestions as exactly that,suggestions, or atleast optional adjustments that can be selected.After all,I think its more likely
that new debian users will come from other distros(such as myself),rather than coming straight to debian.And following that logic,it would seem that the more popular the distro,the more developers it would be likely to attract,although,I could way off base here.Overall I agree with most of what was put forth in the article,and my ideas are still just suggestions. Or at the very least,fuel for more flames.

Thanks again for your time,