expired gpg keys

i regularly get mails alerting me of my expired GPG key. but i have
a new (sub-)key uploaded to the keyservers since the day the old
expired. now i do realize that everyone who obtained my key from the
keyservers last year has that one stored, and GPG doesn't re-get a key
from the keyservers if it's in the local keyring already.

but i can't be the only one, and this has to be solved. why doesn't
gpg try to see if there's a new version of an expired key on the
keyserver before complaining that it's expired?

`. `'`