RE: php not working

A package that runs in PHP3 should run in PHP4 with no modification, unless your PHP4 installation has an incompatible configuration.  You would change this configuration in the "php.ini" file, which when installed from source, is usually located in /usr/local/lib/php.ini or similar.  (An incompatibility might be that register_globals is turned off in your installation whereas your scripts might have been written with the assumption that it is turned on.)

The symptoms you are describing suggest that the web server is not passing the script to the PHP binary to parse before sending out to the browser.  Have you made the appropriate modifications to your httpd.conf file?  (Namely you need to set it to recognize PHP scripts by extension and to turn the PHP module on.)

Since I haven't installed PHP or Apache from debs I tell you how they should be, but if you are having troubles with a source install then I can probably answer most questions you have....

Good luck,

Erik