Exim misconfiguration ?

Hi,

I am currently using exim on my laptop for local delivery and sending
mails. I'm also using fetchmail and procmail.
After the we, when I connect to the internet, the system retrieves many
mails, and exim is launched thousand times.
So that more than 1500 process ( 2/3 exim and 1/3 procmail) are running
and taking all the resources ; I even lose my read/write access to
files!
After restarting, I have to wait the number of exim process to decrease.
Is there a way to configure exim's behaviour differently ( for ex. to
start only one process ) ?

Thank you guys!

Fred