Re: How does LILO work...

"Price, Erik" <eprice@ptc.com> writes:
> I installed Debian a few weeks ago, then installed SuSE on top of it
> (keeping the partition setup I had created during the Debian
> install).  SuSE installed a boot loader for me, so that whenever I
> start the computer I get to choose between Linux and Windows (and
> Linux "Safe Mode", though I'm not familiar with that).  Now I've
> reinstalled Debian (still keeping the original partition setup).
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) If I choose Linux from the current, SuSE-installed LILO, will
>    that actually boot up my new Debian installation?  Or does LILO
>    somehow "remember" that it's looking for SuSE?  (If it matters,
>    the LILO screen shows the SuSE logo still, would be nice to
>    replace that with the Debian whorl.)

You'll probably get nothing, if I read your situation correctly (you
completely overwrote the SuSE install with a Debian install, yes?).
LILO records the physical location on the disk where your kernel is
installed, which is why you also need to re-run it when you install a
new kernel.

> 2) If I use apt-get to install LILO, will that overwrite the old
>    LILO or will something else happen...  I'm afraid to do too much
>    writing on /dev/sda because I don't want to damage my fragile
>    Win2k setup, but I'd like to use LILO to boot into Linux rather
>    than my Debian Boot Disk.

I believe 'apt-get install lilo' won't actually do anything until you
run 'lilo' as root.  You might consider installing GRUB instead,
though; the initial installation is IME a little trickier, but you
never need to reinstall it again, since the bootloader has some
filesystem support.

	-- Abra Mitchell