Re: squid and HD size

Kevin Coyner <kevin@rustybear.com> wrote:

> I have an old SparcStation20 that I've recently put Debian on.  So far I
> haven't used it for anything productive, but was contemplating putting
> Squid on it to be a proxy-server for my 8 box SOHO LAN.
>
> The Sparc has 2 HD's, each a whopping 1 Gig in size.  So after the
> Debian install, I'm left with about 1.1 gig of HD space.  Will that be
> sufficent for my SOHO LAN?

Hm. That's not easy to answer. Depends a lot on how you
surf. I'd suggest to use calamaris to monitor Squids
cache performance. We use a 20 Gig disk on one of our
company LANs. And we get a cache hit rate of about 20%.
Keep in mind, though, that you need more RAM, if you
increase the diskspace.

by
Töns
--