Re: Postfix setup

Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com> [2002-10-14 10:22:42 -0700]:
> 4. Other destinations to accept mail for?
>
> vostok1.com, pacifica.vostok1.com, localhost,vostok1.com, localhost

You have both vostok1.com and localhost in there twice.  You probably
wanted that 3rd comma to be a period.

> 5. Local networks?
>
> I just left this as it is by default, since it doesn't really matter,
> yet. By I would think in the end I will change this to: 10.0.1.0/24
>
> Default is: 127.0.0.0/8

This is an _additional_ way of allowing clients to relay mail through
you.  You don't need to specify your local network if you already
allow other hosts within your domain to relay through you.

But you might find that people tend to have a lot of misconfigured
PC's and this will allow *any* host on your network to relay through
you no matter what domain the PC is sending mail for or on what domain
the PC thinks it is in.  Personally I leave this off and force the
cleanup of the problem on the PC but I am a pedantic.

> 6. Use procmail for local delivery?
>
> No.

I generally say yes to use procmail myself.  If you say no it does not
mean that people cannot use procmail.  It just means they need to use
the .forward file to pipe it through procmail explicitly.

If your mail hub has no users directly on it, that is all mail is
forwarded elsewhere, then this does not matter.

> 7. Mailbox size limit: 100000

After getting complaints about people sending power point
presentations and pictures and other MIME encoded messages which are
just over this limit I have increased mine from this 100KB limit to a
1MB instead.  Probably even 10MB would be fine today.  You need some
limit and just need to pick something reasonable.

> 8. Local address extension character?
>
> left blank

The default if blank is the '+' which is what I generally do.

> By the way, I also want to configure this server with cyrus.

I think you will have to edit the /etc/postfix/main.cf file manually
for that purpose.  Add this line to it.  I don't use it myself and so
that is the limit of my knowledge of it.

  mailbox_transport = cyrus

Bob