Re: Postfix setup

Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com> [2002-10-14 10:22:42 -0700]:

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2002-10-14 22:25:17 +0200]:
> also sprach Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com> [2002.10.14.1922 +0200]:
> > So, with that in mind I chose:  INTERNET SITE
>
> Correct.

I disagree and would say it depends.  It depends upon if this office
site has a dynamic IP address or not.  I read the message in detail
and could not discern that information.

If you have a static IP address then yes, "Internet Site".  If you
have a DUL or a DHCP or other dynamic address then choose "Internet
with smarthost" and specify your ISP mail hub for the smart host.

The problem of spammers are the reason for this.  They will camp out
on dynamic addresses, spam and then move on.  Therefore a *large*
number of sites will not accept mail from anyone in those address
ranges given to dynamic addresses and DUL since those are both usually
spam heaven.  You will find yourself sitting in a blackhole with
regards to outgoing mail.  Which is rather the point of the block in
that case.  Sending mail out through your ISP mail hub will cure that
since it will have a well known address and will not be in the blocked
list of dynamic DUL IPs.

Bob