RE: Rebuilding the Kernel Mini HOW TO

Russell,

No wonder none of the documentation around is exactly right or up to date!
For me this needs to be translated into Window-speak. In windows, a link is
like a file that when it is clicked, opens another file. I do not know what
is needed here, but what worked, and the only thing that worked was a "link"
in /usr/src/linux/ (in Windows there could not be such a thing as a link
that was /usr/src/linux) that was named kernel-source-2.4.18 and to "make
xconfig" you needed to cd to /usr/src/linux/kernel-source-2.4.18

I am not sure either that this is necessary, and it sure looks useless, but
I was following the instructions in one of those references...the one that
used the xconfig GUI.

And doing it as it is written here worked (I was able to rebuild and use my
kernel this way).

Alternatively, I think cd to usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/ (not a link)
would also work for xconfig, but that would not follow the suggestion from
elsewhere that one should not build the package in usr/src the way I read
it.

Madness! All I can say is that it seems this effort to get this straight
will be worth it in the end for other Windows converts.

Best Wishes!
Mike Olds www.buddhadust.org