Re: How does apt-get construt package uri?

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 08:46:20PM -0400, Try KDE wrote:
> Here is a harder question (in my opinion, anyway): given a http/ftp line in
> sources.list, what's apt's algorithm for retrieve the list of packages. For
> example, deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free
>    contrib
>
> will produce such an output from apt-get:
>   Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org testing/main Packages [2036kB]
>
> So exactly what uri was constructed out of it? My browser says
> http://http.us.debian.org/testing/main doesn't exist. By the way, apt-get's
> manpage is very unclear in this aspects.

The sources.list(5) man page is better, but still doesn't go into enough
detail. The actual URL constructed is:

  http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/Packages.gz

The dists/ is implicit when the distribution, "testing" in your case,
doesn't end with a slash. The Packages versus Packages.gz thing is my
recollection, and *is* confusing when you're trying to set up a local
archive and forget to gzip the Packages file (see bug #65839).