Re: using exim for simple mail delivery

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 02:01:46PM +0200, Robert Wilhelm Land wrote:
> Does exim allow the config. of simple mail delivery
> on the following system?:
>
> -One mashine, connected tmp. to the internet
> -one user with only one email adress and
>   who likes to have his incoming mail sorted as:
>    +one inbox for each subscribed maillist
>    +one inbox for all the other mail
>
> Unfortunately I can't figure out if mutt is able
> to handle multiple inboxs on only one
> email account.

Yes.. mutt can handle multiple mailboxes.  This question has been
answered by others.

> I found this in ../exim/oview.txt:
> "
> There is support for multiple user mailboxes controlled by prefixes or
>     suffixes on the user name, either via the filter mechanism or through
i>     multiple .forward files.

Exim (or at least 3.35) can distribute mail to different mailboxes.  If
I understand some of the posters in this thread, they have stated that
you cannot, but this is what I'm doing.  You will find this info in the
file "filter.txt.gz" in /usr/share/doc/exim.  It could well be that
using exim for a single-user account is overkill, but it works.

FWIW, here's my .forward file as a sample..

The first commented line _MUST_ be the present on the first line for it
to work (actually all that's needed are the string "Exim filter"
## I've not bothered to change it.. a few messages slip by that are not
## addressed to or cc'ed to the lists.#.debian.org
if $h_to contains lists.debian.org or $h_cc contains lists.debian.org
then
if $h_to contains debian-user or $h_cc contains debian-user then
save Muttmail/Debian/user
elif $h_to contains debian-firewall or $h_cc contains debian-firewall then
save Muttmail/Debian/firewall
elif $h_to contains debian-kde or $h_cc contains debian-kde then
save Muttmail/Debian/kde
elif $h_to contains debian-news or $h_cc contains debian-news then
save Muttmail/Debian/debian/news
elif $h_to contains debian-security or $h_cc contains debian-security then
save Muttmail/Debian/security
elif $h_to contains debian-announce or $h_cc contains debian-announce then
save Muttmail/Debian/announce
endif
finish
endif