data recovery

hey guys,

a friend of mine somehow borked his windows partition when installing linux.
I don't have many details, because he is a linux newbie.

Here is the situation:
- cfdisk reports the partition as "Linux", not as "Linux ext2" (like his
working linux partition.
- mount will not mount the partition at all (requires a type argument, and
none of them work), and he assures me it is not an NTFS partition.

This leads me to believe that the partition was deleted fromt he partition
table, but a new filesystem was not initialized on the partition, and thus
the data should still be there.

If any of you can recommend what I should do next, or point me to any tools
for data recovery, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
jason pepas