Re: Routing doesn't start automatically

Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> writes:

> I'm not that well versed on calculating netmasks and broadcast address,
> but these look a bit strange. You might try the standard settings:

a netmask of 255.255.255.0 could only be consider "standard" in a LAN
environment.  the mask in the original message (255.255.255.252) is
typical of a DSL environment.  it allows 4 addresses on the local
network: the user's computer, the router, the broadcast address, and a
"network address" (which is never actually used, AFAIK).

I just checked on my machine.  I've got a file called
"/etc/init.d/network" which brings up the interfaces and updates the
route tables.  it says:

# In new Debian installations, this file is deprecated in favour of
# the ifup/ifdown commands (invoked from /etc/init.d/networking), which
# can be configured from the file /etc/network/interfaces.

so I guess I'm using an out-of-date method.

--

joe