Re: xterm stops jobs writing to terminal

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 14:25:34 +0200
martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:

> also sprach Rupert <rupert.debian@hotpop.com> [2002.10.14.1412 +0200]:
> > My xterm stops background jobs that write to the terminal.
>
> This is not xterm, it's your shell, and it's expected and standard
> behaviour. When you ^Z bg a process (or start it out with &), then
> stdin is returned to the shell, not the process. So if the process
> wants to read from stdin, it can't and waits until it has a connection
> to stdin again.

Thing is, it didn't used to work this way, so there must be some way
of changing it back. Also I'm not certain you're correct about it
being the shell's fault: gnome-terminal doesn't have this behaviour,
and I'm using the same shell (bash) as in xterm.

gnome-terminal behaves the way xterm used to: it just spews the error
messages of backgrounded processes to the terminal, regardless of what
I'm doing. I'd like to know how to get xterm to do the same.

> So whatever process is being stopped in the background is probably
> looking for user input at the shell...

Galeon (in my example) is just giving me error messages. It doesn't
take user input from the terminal AFAIK.

Rupert