Re: compiling and building software

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 11:01:53PM -0400, Rodney Green wrote:
> Hello. I recently installed a base Debian system by using the rescue and
> root floppies and installing the rest from the Internet. Since I installed
> only the bare system I didn't have a compiler installed (at least I don't
> think I did) and couldn't build some stuff I downloaded. I want to build and
> install the latest version of  Postfix but I'm getting a Make error message
> about missing something (see below). My question is.. What are the required
> libraries and packages needed to compile most software?

*-dev, in the general case. Don't try to install them all now (they
can't all be installed simultaneously anyway) - just install things as
you need them.

> The make process is failing with this message:
>
> No <db.h> include file found.
> Install the appropriate db*-devel package first.

So, if you want to compile Postfix against libdb3 - presumably a
reasonable choice, looking at the Debian package's current dependencies
- you need to install libdb3-dev.

Cheers,