Re: Name resolution on internal network

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 03:23, Leo Spalteholz wrote:
> On 14 Oct 2002 02:51:27 -0500
> Alex Malinovich <demonbane@the-love-shack.net> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, his computer always wants a FQDN for all computers. So,
> > whereas I can do an 'ssh gandalf' to connect to my mailserver, he has to
> > use 'ssh gandalf.theloveshack.local'. I'm sure that there's some very
> > simple setting somewhere that governs this, but as I have no idea where
> > it might be, finding it is somewhat difficult. :)
>
> do you have a search line in the resolv.conf?
> like
> search theloveshack.local
> I faintly recall reading about this.

I just checked it and that was it as it turns out. Interestingly enough,
the problem was not that the search line was missing, but that it had
\000 appended to the end of it. Since his was the first computer that I
set up using the new Woody installer (all of my others had been done
with the Potato installer), could this be an installer issue? Or perhaps
a debconf issue? Any suggestions on where to look for this so as to
possibly file a bug report? TIA.

-Alex