Name resolution on internal network

I just helped my roommate set up Debian on his new computer and
everything is working just fine. Installed using the Woody installer and
immediately updated to the unstable packages. (He likes cutting edge. I
like bleeding edge experimental. :) I've gone through this same process
with 3 other computers in the apartment and every time I've gotten
almost identical results.

The problem here is name resolution. On all of my other boxen I can
refer to the computers on the network on a "first name basis".
Unfortunately, his computer always wants a FQDN for all computers. So,
whereas I can do an 'ssh gandalf' to connect to my mailserver, he has to
use 'ssh gandalf.theloveshack.local'. I'm sure that there's some very
simple setting somewhere that governs this, but as I have no idea where
it might be, finding it is somewhat difficult. :) TIA for any help.

-Alex