Re: How do I start a X session on another machine

On Saturday 12 October 2002 04:10 pm, Andrew Lindley wrote:
> I have 2 machines running Woody and not enough desk space for both
> screens and keyboards. I'd  like to be able to run X sessions on both
> machines from only one of the machines. When I ran SuSE I could use
> xhost +<host ip> to allow remote (or even other local users) access to
> the display. This doesn't work on Debian. Could someone tell me what the
> correct incantation is? Secondly I'd like to be able to run the host
> chooser on one of my vt's from gdm, ideas please.
>
> Andrew

Do you want two completely independant desktops, like having a KVM?  Or do you
want apps from both machines running on one desktop?

If you want the former (the KVM situation), things should be easy.  After you
have already started a local X session, get to a tty and run "X :1 -query
hostname" where hostname is the second machine.  Make sure "Enable=true" is
set in the XDMCP section of /etc/gdm/gdm.conf.  You should be presented with
the gdm login for your second machine.

To switch between them, just CTRL+ALT+F7, and CTRL+ALT+F8.  Instant KVM.

-jason pepas