Re: the picture collapse when booting.

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 05:54, Wu XiaoGuang wrote:
> On 12 Oct 2002 19:11:34 +0800, Wu XiaoGuang wrote:
>
> > On 11 Oct 2002 06:44:47 +0800, Wu XiaoGuang wrote:
> >> Hi, all: I'm using woody.  After booting more than half (boot into
> >> text login), the small penguin picture(top left) becomes collapse.
> >> My vedia card is RIVA128.  Thank you.
>
> > If no one else happened with such situation, how can I control the
> > small linux-logo at the top left when booting up the system?
>
> > Thank you
>

> Yesterday, I install
> kernel-headers 2.2.20-5
> kernel-image-2 2.2.20-5
> kernel-source- 2.2.20-5
>
> Now there is no linuxLogo when booting.
>
> But when booting up the system, it show:
> ,----
> | Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI card!
> | IBM MCA SCSI: Version 3.2
> | IBM MCA SCSI: No Microchannel-bus present --> Aborting.
> |               This machine does not have any IBM MCA-bus
> |               or the MCA-Kernel-support is not enabled!
> `----
> I have no SCSI card, anyone knows how to cancel this message when
> booting?
> Thank you.

> http://faith.yahoo.com

The Linux Logo - Tux - is a function within the framebuffer support.
There is a patch available as a package to change it to a Debian Logo (a
very nice one, at that!) which can be applied in building a kernel. That
said, I get the impression that you have built your own kernel (hence a
revision 2 number on your kernel package), likely built not using
anything classed Experimental. Framebuffers, although backported to
2.2.20, are still classified as Experimental in kernel 2.4.19, so you
likely weren't even offered that option.

For some cards, framebuffers seem solid - I use them on my older ATI
card without a hiccup. For other cards, they may be limited or not as
tested, though, due to lack of information, lack of coding, or lack of
adventurous souls to report back over the smoke coming out of fried
monitors. X allows users to push their graphics cards and monitors in
terms of system demands - framebuffers extends that to the command line
in exchange for sharper text and the availability of graphics on the
console.

As to the SCSI message - it could be that something was accidentally
clicked on by mistake when building the kernel, in the SCSI section. You
may wish to double check those, and if you feel it necessary, change
them and rebuild. Beyond that, messages similar to that happen all the
time in booting Debian stock kernels, and they work fine - it just is
the kernel learning that it doesn't need to use MCA based SCSI or a
WD-7000 SCSI card, even though support is in the kernel.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org