Re: raid 1 recovery

hi ya

if raid1 mirroring is properly setup...
	- make sure your partition types are all "FD" type

- what does your /etc/raidtab look like ?

the system WILL boot properly all by itself into /dev/hda or /dev/hdc
when one of the disk has failed
( simulate by pulling the power to it or the ide cable )
	- you do NOT need tomsrtbt or any other standalone boot media
	to fix one failed disk of a properly configured raid1
	(mirror) system

	- there is probably a misconfiguration someplace if your system
	doesn't boot with just one disk ( of the 2 in the mirrored system)

-- first problem is to make sure the system keeps running even if a
   disks died ... ( runs in degraded mode ... maybe use hdparm to shut the
   drive down )
	and that it is still bootable w/ any one of the two disks

-- resync is of the new disks is also done automatically
	hotswapremove, hotswapadd combination of commands

while the system is resyncing, if you lose the 2nd disk, you're dead...
unless you start to manually build up the raid before it failed
with things like mdctl

c ya
alvin