RE: removal of gnome 1.4 in order to update to gnome 2

On Sat, 2002-10-12 at 05:15, David Pastern wrote:

> Mark Kahnt said:
> "When I saw the subject, I expected something a bit different - that you
> had tried the apt-get install and had a list of virtually every gnome
> 1.4 application being removed in order to install Gnome 2 (you will get
> that - clip the list to an editor or the printer, and after you can
> re-install what you need - most are able to work in around Gnome 2, but
> in order to install it, libraries they currently use will be removed,
> requiring the applications' removal - at least until the successor is in
> place.)
>
> That said, I have not noticed anybody saying that Gnome 1.4 had to be
> removed in order to install Gnome 2 - on the contrary, the two can
> *somewhat* run concurrently. KDE 2.2 needs to be purged to update KDE to
> the third generation - that may be where the message arose."
>
> Many thanks Mark.  You are absolutely right - I had issues getting kde 3
> onto my system, and had to purge and remove kde 2.2.2 first.  I presumed the
> same was the case with gnome 1.4.  ie remove gnome 1.4 completely and then
> install gnome 2 from scratch.
>
> So if I understand correctly - if i run the update to gnome 2, it will
> remove all the gnome 1.4 apps and i'll have to manually apt get them after
> base gnome 2 install, right???
>
> Dave

There are a good number it will want to remove - it will inform you of
what it is adding, removing, and what is new, and stop for your okay to
proceed. Whenever I see something like that, to be safe, I clip and save
to some editor what is being removed, and then restore what I want item
by item after. This is something like the difference between an upgrade
and a dist-upgrade situation - apt is very smart, but only in a
dist-upgrade situation does it seem to be able to tell (or just assumes)
that it doesn't have to remove applications with dependencies on one
package that are going to have those dependencies filled by another
package. Some you won't replace - gnome-core is superceded, for
instance. However, I think among others it removes evolution iirc -
evolution can be reinstalled after with only the time to download.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org