Zip input/output error

  During the last few days I've had problems with my zip drive (Iomega,
zip 100), so maybe someone can give me a hint.
  Some weeks ago I moved to Debian woody, and last week I tried to use my
zip again. It was working fine with potato, but now, when I used the file
manager of gmc, a crash message appeared and I could not access the drive
anymore, or some files were lost, and so on. I kept on trying from the
command line, and messages of the type:
   cp: cannot create directory `./dir': Input/output error
appeared.
  The zip disk was a vfat one, and I converted it to ext2 in case it
helped, but nothing. In particular, now that it's ext2, and I try
something like:

vmunoz@llacolen:/zip$  cp -r ~/backup/ .

after several (apparently) successful copies, the input/output errors
begin and no more files are copied.
  In case it helps, I'm using kernel 2.4.19. Someone suggested me there
could be some modules missing from my kernel, so I'm using these settings:

>From make menuconfig:

<M> Parallel port support
<M>   PC-style hardware
<M>     Multi-IO cards (parallel and serial)
[*]     Use FIFO/DMA if available (EXPERIMENTAL)
[*]     SuperIO chipset support (EXPERIMENTAL)
<M>     Support for PCMCIA management for PC-style ports
[*]   Support foreign hardware
[*]   IEEE 1284 transfer modes

<*> SCSI support
<*>   SCSI disk support
(40) Maximum number of SCSI disks that can be loaded as modules
 <M>   SCSI generic support
[*]   Enable extra checks in new queueing code
[*]   Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device
[*]   Verbose SCSI error reporting (kernel size +=12K)
[ ]   SCSI logging facility

 SCSI low-level drivers:
<M> IOMEGA parallel port (imm - newer drives)
      [*]   ppa/imm option - Use slow (but safe) EPP-16
      [ ]   ppa/imm option - Assume slow parport control register
<*> SYM53C8XX SCSI support

Character devices:
<M> Parallel printer support
[ ]   Support for console on line printer
<M> Support for user-space parallel port device drivers

The only additions I've done to solve this are the ppa/imm option "slow
but safe" (there was no option checked previously), the FIFO and SuperIO
options. I think that's all.  But it hasn't helped anyway.

 Any comment would be welcome.  Regards,

						Victor