Re: initrd or not

hi ya

i say initrd is not generally needed ...

my simplistic view...

i use initrd only when i am booting a scsi system
from a ide-based kernel  ( same as lots of distros )

if scsi is built into the kernel, you wont need initrd ??
most people compile the ide drivers into their kernel

initrd is good to boot into if you need to load other
modules in order for the system to recognize the hardware

and amd-kernels are very picky about its instruction set
that it uses vs running ix86 based kernels on amd boxes
and vice versa  .. it supposed to be compatible but its not
always interchangeable....

c ya
alvin