Re: a good file manager - any suggestions?

On Friday 11 October 2002 01:56 am, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> hello all
>
> it has been almost a week since i shifted to linux and it has been
> wonderful.
>
> one thing that i am missing is a file manager like explorer. two paned.
> left side tree, right side contents of directory.
>
> any suggestions?
>
> thanx in advance
>
> sandip

here in debian-linux world, where i always feel like i'm dealing with the
only real reality, mc (once you really get to know it) is the best. despite
the fact that it looks like an ancient dos app, you can totally whip it to do
whatever you need. it's worth your while to check it out, even for speed's
sake alone. the bottom line is that mc doesn't lie. even on the rare occasion
when systems have crashed on me, due to power cuts & etc, even in the middle
of crucial manipulations, mc's preservation of the original has saved my day.
x-based file app manipulations tend not to survive an x crash. mc tends to
cover any crash. it's been solid for years, in and out of debian, and it's
natively ftp capable.

in fact, mc was the one of the first proofs, to me, after vi, of the value of
the *nix notion of discreet functionality. it combines a variety of discreet
*nix fuctions. as anywhere in life, use of more than you need is a gluttonous
waste. mc is small and tight, and it's been part of my personal crash
survival kit for years.

while i like to explore both console and x-based fs apps whenever they show
up, i've never found anything to beat the reliabilty of mc.

ben