Re: Default gateway

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 12:49, Joyce, Matthew wrote:

> My adsl connection gets a different ip address each time it connects, this
> makes setting up routes tricky.
>
> Is there anyway to setup routes using MAC addresses or even eth1 instead of
> using the ipaddress ?

You can setup ppp to setup the default route for you when the pppoe link
comes up. in /etc/ppp/options make sure the line "default" is not
commented out.

You can also put a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ that will be run whenever
a link comes up and the same for /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/ . You can use these
for adding extra routes if they're needed, or doing funky stuff as the
link changes.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington