Re: "apt-get install gnome2 gdm2" and typo errors ...

This one time, at band camp, Dan Hunt said:
> Hello Ladies and Gentlemen of the Debian list!
>
> I chose to follow the directions on:
> http://people.debian.org/~walters/gnome2.html
> For my woody installation. I love gnome so I thought I would give gnome2 a go.
>
> Here is what I got:
> 17 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Setting up bug-buddy (2.2.0.1) ...
> /usr/share/omf/file-roller/file-roller-ru.omf:5: error: Input is not proper UTF=8, indicate encoding !
>
> Then I have to CTRL-C it to make it stop. Same error after the
> Setting up scrollkeeper (0.3.11-2) ...
>
> I think this was a result of a typo I made editing the sources.list .
>
> This looks suspicious
> Hit http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 Packages
> Ign http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 Release
> Err http://people.debian.org woody/gnome2 Sources
>   404 Not Found
> Failed to fetch http://people.debian.org/~kov/debian/dists/woody/gnome2/source/Sources 404 Not Found
>
> I am using Linux Version 2.4.18
>
> How do I clean up the sources and get back on track?
>
> Dan Hunt
> Debian is the Gnu/Linux I started with, and now I am Microsoft free!
> Well yes honey, Daddy did break the computer, but I'll get it (M$-ME) working again, someday.

Ignore the error - it is about a malformed omf file in file-roller, and
is (AFAICT) completely harmless.  Continue the upgrade as normal, even
though it spews garbage on your screen.  There are already bugs about
this.

As for the Sources entry in your sources.list - I don't knwo what the
correct one for that site is - perhaps contact the person running it, or
google around?

HTH,
Steve
--
The anger of a woman is the greatest evil with which you can threaten your
enemies.