Re: CD-R not mounting

    "lists" == lists  <Marcus> writes:

    lists> Running Debian 3.0 I've added the appropriate
    lists> "hdc=ide-scsi" option to grub.conf, but the CD drive still
    lists> won't mount.  It seems that setup did not add ide-scsi to
    lists> the modules? Or are they in the kernel already?

    lists> Can anybody tell me how you would add the appropriate
    lists> driver config? It seems in Debian you don't directly edit
    lists> modules.conf.

    lists> After several attempts I'm fairly clueless. Mandrake
    lists> recognized the CD-R and added ide-scsi to
    lists> modules.conf. What do I need to check?

I use the stock 2.4.18 kernel.

I created a file called /etc/modutils/cdrw and in it I have

# First, get the ide-cd drive to not latch onto /dev/hdd
options ide-cd ignore=hdd
#
#
# Set up an alias for /dev/scd0 to load sr_mod
alias scd0 sr_mod
#
#
# Now get ide-cd followed by ide-scsi loaded before the SCSI drivers
pre-install sg        modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod    modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install ide-scsi  modprobe ide-cd
#

and if you have not guessed it yet, /dev/hdd is my CD-RW drive. Run
update-modules to recreate the /etc/modules.conf file.

Noting in lilo or grub this way.

I tend to preload ide-cd and ide-scsi via /etc/modules because I turn
on DMA during my boot process.

BTW this is all just as the CD Writing HOWTO says to do things, but
for the Debian specific update-modules script.

Cheers!
Shyamal