Re: Finding files to back up

* Mark Carroll (mark@chaos.x-philes.com) [021009 10:37]:
> Being of the belief that a fresh reinstall can help to spring-clean my
> machine, my usual approach to backups is to preserve my package selections

Leave that belief behind.  You're using debian now! =)

A good backup strategy is always important, though, always.  I think
Karsten's page provides good guidelines and advice about how to craft
your own backup solution:

http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html

good times,
Vineet

> and the files that I've added (e.g. in /home/) and modified (e.g. in
> /etc/) that wouldn't be recovered in a simple package reinstallation.
>
> I see that dpkg can tell me about associations between files and packages.
> Can I somehow get a list of the md5sums of the package maintainers'
> version of the files so I can tell if they were modified? Maybe things
> aren't as simple as I'm imagining?

Probably even simpler than you're imagining.  Just grab your conf files
(they're listed in the packages' metadata); it's unlikely that you've
changed anything else.

good times,
Vineet
--