Re: Trouble installing Xwindows on debian 3.0 (woody)

Srini Vasan said:
> Hi,
>
> I am a debian newbie ( coming from the mandrake world)...
> I am having trouble getting XFree86 to work correctly on my
> machine...When I run startx .. it crashes and xfree86config suggests
> running "SuperProbe" to get the right characteristics for my video card
> before re-running the config.
>
> But I cant find SuperProbe on my system ( I did a search ).... Is there a
> simple utility that I could run which will detect all the hardware and
> select the right options (like Mandrake does SO WELL)...

the best suggestion i can suggest is X -probeonly that will attempt
to auto detect everything. I suggest first creating /dev/mouse, if your
using a ps2 mouse something like:

cd /dev ; ln -s psaux mouse

I am not aware of some 'catchall' debian-specific utility. something
else that would help is if you told the list what video card you use.
if it's something like 810 or 815 or some other strange chipset it
may be more difficult then just X -probeonly or even xf86config. There
is a tool called anxious, which tries to do what you want, but last
time I tried it, it could only detect a few different cards. if your
using a nvidia card and want 3d acceleration you need to compile and
install the modules for it.

nate