Mount or disable devfs, was: inode missing

Mount or disable devfs?

Device File System

For a good discussion of devfs see:
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.html#what-is-it

In attempting to set up and run Partition Image, I got the message:
"Inode Missing" /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc with an offer to
create it. I contacted the PI board and asked: "Can someone explain what
this is and what it means and whether or not it is safe to allow PI to
create the inodes?" and was told:

"In your case not (safe)."

"ext2/3 inode is almost like clusters in FAT file system."

"I think you enabled devfs support in kernel but you haven't mounted
devfs partition into /dev. Partimage can't work in such situation.
You'll have to remove devfs support from kernel or mount devfs in /dev."

"Cat your /proc/partitions file. If you read
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partXXX you enabled devfs support."

I have apparently enabled devfs support as I have a fair number of these
listed, apparently one for each partition and extended partition.

"Now if you ls /dev and you only see hdaXX without ide subdirectory, you
haven't mounted devfs in /dev."

And I have no subdirectory /dev/ide

So the questions to the Debian folk are:

[As far as I can tell, this devfs thing is primarily of use to those with
external devices such as scanners and so forth. I have only one external
device connected to this computer: a printer.]

What are the advantages/disadvantages in my situation?

1. Should I mount devfs?
2. If so: how do I go about mounting it? I have read some of the
discussions, but they are generally on a higher level than my own. Is it the
same as mounting any other device? Do I need to mount each (one for each
partition) individually, or will mount /devfs mount what is need? If this is
an advisable setup, can it be set up to happen automatically on boot?
3. If not: how do I go about removing devfs support? Is this going to
require a Kernel Rebuild?
4. How did I get into this mess in the first place? i.e. What did I say yes
to that I didn't need?

A lot of questions; I am still reading, but I could use any thoughts anyone
here has on the matter.

Best Wishes!
Mike Olds www.buddhadust.org